Basically the general guidelines

  1. we will allow ourselves to dine out once per quarter to allow for the occasional business meeting or special celebrations
  2. if we are out on business or having a meeting in a coffee house we can order the bare minimum needed to mix in, no need to be bigger freaks than we already are, right? **snort**
  3. coffee does not count, we gave up fancy coffee long ago so the occasional coffee we feel is not a problem
  4. if on a business trip there is no way we will be cooking from a hotel room

1.06.2010

Did you just hear that scream?

That was both of my sons being told we were NOT going out for sushi. Yes, my kids are freaks, have we not already discussed this? They beg for sushi and this is sure to stick with them as one of the meanest things ever done to them.

We have not actually told the boys we are not going to dine out for a year but I did hint around a bit. Is that wrong? Should I tell them? They really have no choice in the matter but I'm sure we will hear incessant arguments on the subject IF we tell them. So I have been going on the assumption that we will discuss it when we HAVE to. This is our first big challenge; going to the big city and not going out for lunch.

We are taking a lunch and water to drink and maybe an iced coffee for me. Our lunch will consist of: pb&j on homemade bread, carrots (peeled by boys...shhhh makes them so much more yummy!!) and sunshine upside down cake(recipe coming on the recipe blog soon) and maybe pretzels if we need them. Eating our own lunch will save us about 30 dollars that we would have spent on sushi, an added bonus!

While working on a menu plan/grocery list with the boys we did decide to make sushi on Sunday afternoon so we will actually be filling the sushi void we will all be feeling. Except my husband he won't know what he is missing but he'll enjoy making sushi anyway.

1 comment:

  1. your boys are adorable!! I think your plan is a good one - to just discuss it as needed, as it comes up. In the long run they'll eventually clue in anyways, plus it'll be great for them to realize how much healthier (and cheaper) this year will be!

    Ohh can't wait to see your sushi making experience. I'm still a big wuss in that department! If I were you I'd just add the pre-made stuff to next week's grocery list! ;)

    ReplyDelete