Basically the general guidelines

  1. we will allow ourselves to dine out once per quarter to allow for the occasional business meeting or special celebrations
  2. if we are out on business or having a meeting in a coffee house we can order the bare minimum needed to mix in, no need to be bigger freaks than we already are, right? **snort**
  3. coffee does not count, we gave up fancy coffee long ago so the occasional coffee we feel is not a problem
  4. if on a business trip there is no way we will be cooking from a hotel room

1.05.2010

Well that's interesting...

I am discovering that while I like to think we don't go out a lot we actually do, just not always for a full blown dinner. There are the husbands daily rockstars (blech but he likes them so...) which he is giving up. There are trips for coffee when there is a nothing to do. There are the lunches out becasue we are in the city or the kids are gone or because we want to. Lots of reasons to celebrate by eating somewhere else but home. Well I can see one thing for sure we will be spending more on money for groceries but we will save even more because we are staying in.

I have decided to keep a running tab in the sidebar of this blog with a total dollar amount saved by us NOT going out. And I will try faithfully to add in a real dollar amount each and every time we would have used any occasion to go out to eat or hit the coffee house for more that a cuppa. So far my husband went to the library instead of the coffee house to work alone so that's five bucks saved on coffee and a muffin. I stayed home and had leftover falafel for lunch today instead of going out for lunch with my husband (boys are at Grandmas today) so that's another 20 dollars plus I know I would have snuck in a last of the season gingerbread latte from Starbucks. Yes, I gave up spendy coffee last year but I do so love the gingerbread and would happily drink one everyday. Consider that another 5 bucks. WOW! that's a lot of money.

Here's a picture of my leftover falafel sandwich. This baby saved me 20 bucks! And my husband worked through lunch and ate a noodle bowl from his desk.

3 comments:

  1. I'm also not a Starbucks fan but I looove the seasonal eggnog latte! I might have to sneak a last one in, too! I always forget that they disappear so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think we're all going to be surprised by the running total on your sidebar. That's def. food for thought.

    Oh how I love falafel ... good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I was surprised to see 30 dollars already too! It is more expensive up here but I heard NY is even more so? Yes?

    ReplyDelete